This extraordinary team of people have incorporated the principles of Extreme Leadership into the culture and fabric of their company in many ways, not the least of which is the performance evaluation process. All employees are measured in part on their ability to cultivate Love, generate Energy, inspire Audacity and provide Proof in the way they conduct business with their clients and with each other.
Over the next four posts I’ll share with you (with their generous permission) the actual language from their evaluations. Today’s selection is on Cultivating Love. Their language follows…
CULTIVATING LOVE: Demonstrating love (of the future we’re working together to create) in the way they work with, serve, and lead the people around them. (Leadership includes peer level.) Love in this sense is a feeling of strong attachment induced by that which delights or commands admiration; preeminent kindness or devotion to another. At its core, being an extreme leader means doing what you love in the service of those who love what you do.
(The scale is 1 to 5 where 1 = Unacceptable, 2 = Passable, 3 = On Par, 4 = Strong, 5 = Extraordinary)
1. Views daily actions and efforts as part of a job, not part of a broader future that employee has a key role in creating. Does not understand or connect personal or organizational opportunity to make a difference in the world.
2. Acknowledges personal role and on some occasions, exhibits love of the future we’re creating together through tangible actions in working with teammates, contractors and/or clients.
3. Consistently demonstrates infectious passion for activities that positively impact the future. Takes full personal responsibility and ownership for their individual contribution toward that impact. Understands the role of business in society and recognizes the importance of leadership at all levels. Consistently and proactively backs up strong beliefs with actions and results.
4. Puts heart into daily work and often cultivates love of the future we’re creating together in teammates, contractors and/or clients through tangible actions.
5. Fully and actively embodies love in the way they work with, serve, and lead the people around them. Consistently cultivates love of the future we’re creating together in teammates, contractors and/or clients through tangible actions.